Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Words to live by

A few weeks ago I saw a picture of this poster on one of my many blog runs, and it just hit me - straight between the eyes and straight into my current life situation. How profound. And how simple:) When I read the story, it just added to the rightness of it all.

This is the third of a series of posters made by the Ministry of Information in UK at the beginning of WWII, 1939, in an effort to offer the public reassurance in the dark days which lay ahead.

The two first ones; 'Your Courage, Your Cheerfulness, Your Resolution will Bring us Victory' and 'Freedom is in Peril' were distributed in September 1939 and immediately began to appear in shop windows, rail way platforms etc, but this last one was kept back, intended for use only in times of crisis or invasion.

It was never used and practically unseen until a secondhand bookstore found one of two copies still left, sitting in a box of old books they bought in an auction. Barter Books hung the poster up in their stores, and it became so popular they started to reprint it in 2001.

Having worked with communication for most of my life I am humble in the presence of the incredible simplicity of the statement. The author of the message is still unknown, sadly enough.

My copy is already up on the wall:) A message from past years that still speaks to us today.

Read more about it on their blog: Barter Books, Mary's Blog

No comments: